Thursday, November 8, 2007

Nearing the end

The past week I’ve spent the majority of my time talking to seniors and coach Gene Chizik about the Cyclones’ final home game on Saturday. Most of the questions have ranged from favorite memories at Jack Trice Stadium to what are their plans after their careers at Iowa State are finished. For the past four years, the talk has been about Todd Blythe and going to the NFL. Just about every reporter in the state has talked to him about it and while Blythe has said he’s focusing on the remaining two games of the season, you can tell he’s already looking at where he’s moving after Ames. Probably the most interesting of all the guys is Bret Meyer. Meyer, who ranks near the top of every offensive category for quarterbacks in school history, isn’t leaving on the best of notes. He’s spent the season learning a new system, fighting for his job while fans want to take it from him, and share snaps with redshirt freshman Austen Aranud. I sat down with him for awhile on Sunday and I asked the question, where do you go from here? “I want to play at the next level and I’m going to work as hard as I can in the months following the season to put myself in a position to have a chance,” Meyer responded. And if the NFL doesn’t come calling? “If it doesn’t work out I’ve prepared myself to where I can go get a job and won’t have a problem with that either,” he said. I wasn’t a bit surprised by his answer. Meyer is a guy that came out and answered questions after every loss this season. He’s a guy that seemed to accept his mentoring role over Arnaud. He’s a guy everyone seems to think, including Chizik and former coach Dan McCarney, will land on his feet if a pro football career doesn’t work. And from the time I’ve spent around him this year, I can see why.

No comments: