Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The good and the bad

Worried about the future of Cyclone football? Talking with Iowa State officials, coach Gene Chizik didn’t hesitate to hit the road. After completing his first season with ISU, the Cyclones’ coach has been out on recruiting trips for the week and isn’t expected back until Friday.
***
My colleagues and I in the media could see this coming. Today, the NCAA ruled that freshman guard Lucca Staiger would not be eligible for the 2007-08 season, losing the Cyclones’ appeal. When I first heard about his situation, I figured that there might be a reduction in his suspension. But then the hits started coming for the Cyclones. Wesley Johnson sat out the first three games with a bad foot. Freshman guard Marcus Brister left the team for personal reasons. The NCAA offices had to be evacuated when a fire struck the building while officials were in the process of reviewing Staiger’s case. When I saw freshman Craig Brackins go down in the fourth quarter of the Minnesota game, I thought that was the last straw. Now, it’s beginning to look like there are a lot of straws left in a pretty big hat.

No comments: