Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Fan Support

While time was expiring in Iowa State's last game against Northern Iowa, I casually walked around the stadium talking to fans about the ongoing season. Talk ranged from their first 0-2 start since the start of the Dan McCarney era, who the starting quarterback should be, and how many games fans would make it out to future games.
I outlined the responses of several fans in today's Iowa State Daily article. Check out the story at Iowastatedaily.com.
What the story doesn't include was some of the more negative feedback.
I had one student tell me with a group of friends he'd rather watch his family die in a plane crash then go to another Cyclone game.
Another kid called it the worst experience of his life. It's hard to imagine that a football game is really the worst experience of an 18 year olds life.
Finally when I was leaving Jack Trice Stadium I found a father wearing a red and black Cyclones jacket, holding his daughter over his shoulders. I approached the gentlemen to ask him his thoughts on the young season. "I don't want to talk about Cyclones football," he said.
He may not want to talk about it but he was still there with his family as the finally seconds came off the clock. Fans will be there for the Iowa/Iowa State game, but after that, will you be?

No comments: