Tuesday, October 9, 2007

An inside source

Walking into the Jacobson Building Monday morning, I knew it was coming. Sitting in the front row of Gene Chizik’s weekly Monday press conference, it didn’t take long for the Mack Brown questions to come. How much of being a former coach is going to help your team? Do you have any insight that you can provide about your team? More amazing then the same type of question being asked ten different times, probably eight by me, was the answer that Chizik gave.
“I know the players,” Chizik said a former defensive coordinator for the Texas Longhorns. “I know who’s capable of doing what, so I think that’s a little bit of something we can give to our players.”
Amazing! I’ve been in locker rooms, press conferences, dugouts, on the field, whatever, before games. Going into it, I expected the typical, “we’ve just got to play our game,” speech.
“I think we’ve got to step on him because he knows how to act and how they react,” said sophomore linebacker Jesse Smith.
The big question is how big of a difference can it really make? A hitter may know a 90 MPH fastball is coming but you still have to hit it. They knew the passing game was coming against Texas Tech but still lost 42-17.
“We’re going to look over the game plan the same as we would look over for any other team,” said junior wide receiver Euseph Messiah. “For him to have connections over there doesn’t hurt.”

No comments: